Chicken and Apple Sauté
Yields: 2 servings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded thin
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- salt & pepper
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add apples, onion, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook until apples and onions are soft (about 5-6 minutes), sirring often. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to skillet. Cook chicken breasts, turning once, for about 5 minutes total (until golden brown on both sides).
- Leave chicken in pan and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Set aside 1 tbs apple juice. Pour remaining apple juice in skillet along with apple cider vinegar. Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Remove chicken and transfer to platter, leaving sauce in pan.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with reserved tbs of apple juice. Stir into skillet juices and cook over medium-high for 2 minutes, until juices are thickened.
- Add apple-onion mixture to skillet. Cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken and apple mixture over rice.
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 green chillies
- 2 tsp onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger, finely grated
- salt to taste
- dash of lime juice
- Finely chop apple and green chillies.
- Whisk yogurt in mixing bowl.
- Add salt and other ingredients (except lime juice) and mix well.
- Mix in lime juice. Garnish and serve.
Apple & Brie Stuffed French Toast
- 1 granny smith apple
- brie cheese
- brown sugar
- 2 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 1/2 tbs cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- dash of salt
1. Combine eggs, heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of salt. Gently whip until mixed.
2. Heat pan on medium heat with ~1 tbs butter. While waiting, slice apple.
3. Once pan is heated and butter is bubbling, sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar into pan and place apple slices on top. Sprinkle top of apples with brown sugar. Fry for about 1 minute on each side.
4. While apples are cooking, butter each slice of bread. Place brie on one side, top with apple slices, sprinkle with a little cinnamon, and put bread together.
5. Dip sandwich into egg mixture and place in buttered pan. Fry for about 3-4 minutes on each side until browned.
6. (Optional) Top with honey, syrup, whipped cream, cinnamon, sugar, etc.
Barbecued Pork & Apple Kebabs
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin (halved lengthwise and cut into 16 cubes)
- 1 medium red onion (cut into 8 wedges)
- 1 granny smith apple (peeled and cut into 8 wedges)
1. Heat grill to medium-high.
2. In a large bowl, combine jam, vinegar, tomato paste, and 1 tbs oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Assemble 4 long skewers, alternation 4 pork cubes with 2 onion wedges and 2 apple wedges on each. Roll skewers in remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Lightly oil grates on grill. Cover and cook, turning occasionally (about 6-8 minutes). Baste skewers with some sauce and cook, turning and basting occasionally with more sauce until pork is no longer pink in center and has a nice glaze (about 4-8 minutes).
Baked Apple Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbs unsalted butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple (peeled, cored, and diced into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease/spray casserole dish.
2. In a medium bowl, toss together oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a separate small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla.
4. Place diced apples in a single layer in bottom of casserole dish. Sprinkle about 2/3 of raisins, then cover with oat mixture. Drizzle milk mixture over oats, distributing evenly. Sprinkle remaining raisins. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until top is golden brown and oats have set.
5. Remove from oven and serve hot with more maple syrup.
Yield: 9” cake
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 lb butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp lemon grind grated fine
- 2 8-oz packages of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white (saved from crust)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups sliced apples (with or without skins)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. For crust: Combine all crust ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and spread mixture on bottom and sides of pan. Push pastry to within 1/2 inch from top of pan.
2. For filling: Cream sugar and cream cheese. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, blending after each addition. Add egg white and blend until incorporated. Pour into pan.
3. For topping: Mix sugar and cinnamon. Toss apples into mixture until well coated. Layer apples over cheesecake. (Optionally add almond slivers if desired) Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 for 30-35 minutes. Refrigerate after cooled. (Best if cooled overnight)
Apple Cornmeal Cakes
Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart Bread with Apple Slices
Grilled caramelized apples and cheese sandwich