Yield: 4 to 6 dinner-sized servings
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup avocado and mango salsa (see below for recipe)
- 8 tortillas
- Combine the cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the uncooked chicken pieces in a mixing bowl and season with the spices, stirring to evenly mix.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Brown the chicken until cooked through; remove from the pan and shred into smaller pieces; set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the other tablespoon olive oil then cook the onions and peppers with the salt and pepper until tender. Add the minced garlic and sauté until just fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove the peppers and onions from the pan and set aside.
- Spray a tortilla with cooking spray and place, spray side down, in the skillet. On half of the tortilla, layer some cheese, chicken, onions/peppers and salsa. Fold the other side of the tortilla over the fillings and let cook until the bottom of the tortilla is golden and crispy. Flip and let cook until the other side is also golden and crispy.
- Transfer the quesadilla onto a plate and cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with remaining tortillas and ingredients. Serve immediately.
Yield: 5 servings
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from one fresh lime
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and let the flavors blend in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- 1 unsliced loaf sourdough bread
- 12-16 oz Monterey Jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely diced
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut bread lengthwise and widthwise without cutting through bottom.
- Place bread on foil-lined baking sheet. Insert cheese slices between cuts.
- Combine butter, onion, and poppy seeds. Drizzle over bread.
- Wrap in foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap and bake for 10 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- 1 (8 oz) package refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 4 cheese sticks, halved
- 1 (3.5 oz) package sliced pepperoni
- (optional) marinara or ranch sauce for dipping
- For garlic butter glaze: 2 tbs butter (melted), 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On each triangle of crescent roll dough, place about 6 pepperoni slices. Place half of a cheese stick on top and roll up.
- Place seam side down on cookie sheet. Bake for 10-14 minutes, until golden brown.
- While rolls are cooking, combine melted butter, Italian seasonings, garlic powder and Parmesan in a small bowl.
- When rolls are done, remove from oven and brush with garlic butter glaze.
- Serve with marinara or ranch for dipping.
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tbs chopped green bell pepper
- 2 oz pepperoni, chopped
- 2 tsp sliced black olives
- If cooking in oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Alternatively, use microwave.
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, oregano, parsley, basil, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Spread mixture in bottom of 9 inch pie plate (or shallow microwave-safe dish). Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan on top. Spread pizza sauce.
- Microwave pepperoni for about 30 seconds to remove some fat.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with green pepper, pepperoni and olives.
- Cover and microwave for 5 minutes (or bake for 15-20 minutes).
- Serve hot with baguette slices, tortilla chips, or Fritos scoops.
- 2 potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp finely ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 medium eggs
- Generously grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- Using a box grater, shred potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with kosher salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Gather potatoes in the center of a bed of paper towels and wring dry, removing excess water.
- Transfer potatoes back to bowl and add shallot, garlic, pepper, and paprika. Mix until combined.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spoon about 2 tbs potato mixture into each muffin cup, lining the bottom and sides. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until outer sides are lightly browned.
- Decrease oven to 350 degrees. Remove potatoes from oven.
- In the center of each nest, add 1 tsp grated cheese. Top with one egg.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, until whites are set but yolks still appear soft.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes in pan. Using a butter knife, gently remove each nest. Top with pepper and serve immediately.
- 4 jalapenos (small)
- 1 tbs cream cheese
- 1/2 tbs ranch
- 1-2 tbs chives (chopped)
- 2 slices dehydrated tomato
- Roast jalapenos (on barbeque or on stove over medium-low heat)
- Combine cream cheese, ranch, chives, and dehydrated tomato. Mix until smooth.
- Peel skins off jalapenos. Cut in half and remove seeds and spines.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on one slice of bread. Top with jalapenos and then cheese. Butter outside of sandwich.
- Cook in pan on medium heat until golden brown.
Yields: 1 pie, or 4 mini pies
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti
- 1 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place spaghetti and sauce in pie dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan, and parsley.
- Top spaghetti with ricotta mixture. Sprinkle remaining parmesan.
- Bake until cheese is golden brown (about 30 minutes).
- Garnish with more parsley.
- 2 medium potatoes
- olive oil spray
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tbs milk
- 2 thin slices ham, chopped
- 2 tbs onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbs cheddar cheese
- Pierce potato with a fork a few times all around.
- Place in microwave for about 5 minutes per potato. Let cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes in half horizontally. Scoop out potatoes, leaving a 1/4-inch thick wall.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Add onion, bell pepper, and ham. Mix well.
- Cook eggs in a skillet, mixing often.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly spray potato skins on both sides with oil. Season sides with salt and pepper. Fill with eggs and top with 1 tbs cheese.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- 2 medium potatoes (washed and dried)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- coarse salt & fresh cracked pepper
- 1 slice bacon (cooked and finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbs diced scallions
- 1 tbs sliced pickled jalapeno
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Cut each potato into 1/4-inch thin fries.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes and oil. Toss well. Add seasoning (paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper) and toss to coat.
- Place potatoes in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes, until tender crisp, turning once halfway through.
- Remove from oven and transfer to oven safe dish. Top with cheese, jalapenos, scallions and bacon bits. Return to oven for about 2 minutes, until cheese melts.
- Serve with low fat buttermilk ranch dressing.
Yields: 4-6 sandwiches
For the sandwiches:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh (partially frozen)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 medium white or yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 4-6 slices cheese of choice
- 4-6 hoagie rolls, split
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 3 tbs spicy brown mustard
- 2 tsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- To make the mustard spread, whisk all ingredients together and refrigerate covered for up to 2 weeks.
- If chicken is completely thawed, place on plastic-wrapped plate and freeze for 15-20 minutes. (This makes it easier to slice thinly)
- Using a very sharp knife, thinly slice the chicken.
- Season chicken with a couple dashes of Worcestershire and salt & pepper.
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onions. Cook covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until softened. If necessary, add a couple tbs water to prevent sticking.
- Transfer peppers and onions to bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, stirring frequently until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Drain fat and reduce heat to medium.
- Add peppers and onions back to pan, tossing to reheat.
- Spread mustard on split hoagie rolls. Spoon chicken mixture on top. Top each sandwich with a slice of cheese. Serve hot. (If necessary, pop sandwiches under broiler to reheat and melt cheese)
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 16 oz frozen corn (or fresh corn)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or whole milk for lighter version)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbs granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tbs flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Combine corn, cream, salt, sugar, and pepper in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk milk and flour together; stir into corn mixture. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and corn is cooked through. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan until melted. Serve hot.
Grilled Cheese Guacamole Sliders
Yields: 10 sliders
- 1 tsp olive oil
- french bread (or italian or whole wheat), sliced
- Monterey Jack cheese
- guacamole: recipe
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- bacon (optional)
- Make guacamole.
- Heat skillet on medium. Once heated, add olive oil and place bread on skillet.
- Once slightly golden, flip bread. Add cheese on both sides of sandwich.
- Once cheese is melted, add guacamole (and optional bacon) on one side.
- (Optional) Sprinkle a bit of red pepper.
- Cover sandwich with other half. Gently press down.
- Grill to perfection.
Prep Time: 1 hr, plus 24 hours for dough to rest
Baking Time: about 10 minutes per pizza
Yield: 2 pizzas